Saturday, August 2, 2008

Swim Lessons

Growing up on a lake, I learned to swim fairly young. It was always something we did, especially since our parents had the summer off. We would spend our summers either camping or at the beach. I remember my swim lessons very well. We learned at a neighbors house. I was about 4 or 5 I think. My most vivid memory is being told to jump off the dock into very deep water to learn to tread water. I was so scared because the water was deep. I wasn't going to jump but my older sister decided to help, by pushing me. I wasn't very pleased with her but it got me in and from that day on, I was a swimmer.
So it seems fair that I should reciprocate the same loving "push" to my son. I signed Erik up for swim lessons at the local country club. I know I know, you are thinking "what, the country club, how hoyty toyty, however it's not like that. It just means smaller classes. The first day was a challenge for Erik. He is a little freaked out about being in water over his head. However teacher Christa got him to do what everyone else was doing. They are learning different kinds of kicks, treading water and going under water (which Erik has done once kinda). He's had 4 days at this point and he has 4 more to go. It's amazing how much he has improved in just 4 days. I am enjoying watching him grow up. It doesn't seem like that long ago that he was just my little boy who used to cuddle with me. Now I have a pre-schooler who is taking swimming lessons and going to pre-school in a month. Yikes, where did the last 4 years go. I understand the saying "The days are long and the years are short". How true that is. Now I must go and enjoy one of those loooong days with a teething baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment