Saturday, October 25, 2008

"Just a mom"

a couple of years ago at my parents house, we started talking about how we define ourselves. I believe it was my brother-in-law William that called me "just a mom" in front of my mom. Well needless to say my mom who was a Stay-at-home mom didn't like the term "just a mom" because moms "do it all" in her mind. They clean, cook, take care of the children and their husband all while taking care of themselves right. Well I personally have no problem telling people I'm "just a mom" because in today's society being a mom is recongnized as a BIG job.

I guess today I'm feeling rather good about being a mom because my children are actually behaving and being fun to be around. They are almost always fun to be around but I got my main living area clean so I'm able to enjoy them better. It helped that Phil took both kids to Home Depot for 2 hours so I could get the house cleaned.

My point in writing today was to tell you more about what the kids are up to. Erik is enjoying pre-school. He is a little behind (according to his teacher) so we are practicing things at home like cutting, coloring and writing letters. I am guessing by next Spring he will be about par with the rest of his class. He can't wait for Halloween. He doesn't understand the true meaning of Halloween so it is fun to listen to him talk about dressing up and going trick or treating. I got his costume out tonight to let him play with it and the look on his face was so awesome. It's like he had never seen it before.
I felt bad for him, he split his lip open this afternoon outside. Phil was washing the windows (yes, I know I'm keepin' him), anyway Erik had just said "I love outside, it's my best" which is his way of saying his favorite thing to do, well then he slipped off a rock and went face first into a ceramic planter. Luckily he is ok although he milked the situation so he could watch scooby doo.

Sarah is doing good. She is 8 months old and starting to think about crawling. We don't put her on her tummy enough because she is happier sitting up, but we are starting to lay her down more. I think in her head she understands but can't get her body to listen. She wiggles but only goes backwards. It's quite cute but she gets mad when she can't reach whatever we put in front of her. She also discovered a new friend. That is, her reflection in the window at night. She waves to her new friend and talks to her and it's amazing, her friend has a mommy that looks just like hers! I don't think she realizes the baby is her. I love watching another human being discover what most all of us take for granted.
If you have children and grandchildren please don't take them for granted. They will show you amazing things about life if you let them, no matter how young or old they are! Remember they lived a completly different life than you did. Let them teach you as much as you teach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment